Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Consequences

So I'm sitting here in my philosophy class discussing different ethics and how to have a universal concept of how to decide what's right or wrong, and I made an interesting connection. I've understood for a long time that when deciding what a good choice would be it's better to choose the one with the least visible consequences (always try to be free). This is what all laws, temporal and spiritual, are based on. Every law that I can think of is focused on keeping either us or anyone else free from any natural consequences. Such as: we shouldn't speed because it might harm us or others because it's unsafe, we shouldn't steal because then someone else would have to be without something or have to use what they have for another one (they would have a consequence). But any law about something that we should do is keeping us free. Such as "though shalt obey thy mother and father" keeps us free for having more ideas since we may have been limited from the knowledge of good ideas that we had.
    I just thought this was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment